The position is focused on experimental investigation of applicability of alternative (to conventional diesel) fuels like LNG, hydrogen, methanol, ammonia and biofuels of various feedstocks in marine diesel engines of the future.
The study can be performed in two ways: either purely concentrating on using Constant Volume Combustion Rig (CVCR) and then is mainly oriented towards investigation of injection strategies of various alternative fuels, considering their chemical structure and physical properties, studying their evaporation and mixing properties as well as on corresponding emission footprint or with higher emphasis on real application options, i.e. investigating the performance of the fuels in Hybrid Power Lab considering different propulsion system arrangements and various available energy storage systems.
Some modelling of energy conversion processes can be also accounted, but is expected to be performed in cooperation with both research colleagues within SFI Centre and industry partners.
On board verification experiments can be also considered during the project.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Proceso de aplicación
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-83/19 when applying.
Please note that we have a number of positions associated to SFI Smart Maritime in 2019. Within this application, please specify the fellowship number by indicating WP3.3. If you plan to apply to more than one position, we kindly ask you to submit a full application to each position.
The PhD-position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is completion of a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in Mechanical Engineering, Marine Technology, Energy and Process Technology or equivalent or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale. Applicants with no letter grades from previous studies must have an equally good academic foundation. Applicants who are unable to meet these criteria may be considered only if they can document that they are particularly suitable candidates for education leading to a PhD degree.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, postdoctor and research assistant.
Strong motivation for experimental laboratory work is expected
The knowledge/experience with diesel engines, marine machinery, measurement instrumentation and optics can become an advantage
- Good written and oral English language skills. Applicants from non-English speak countries outside Europe must present an official language test report. The acceptable tests are TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A
- High motivation for experimental research work
- Ability to solve complex technical tasks independently
- Curiosity for new knowledge
- Excellent communication skills both in scientific writing and oral presentation
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement
Categorías CINE (ISCED)