The proposed research topic is related to modeling and optimal design of hybrid power systems aiming to minimize the fuel consumption and corresponding emissions from ship propulsion as well as reduction of both capital and operational costs.
The variety of considered solutions is not limited only by ones applicable for new-build hybrid vessels, but also includes stand-alone retrofit solutions available for existing ships. The design of the hybrid power system will be obtained through multi-objective optimization based on laboratory experiments and operational data from existing marine vessels.
In this framework, different combinations of energy sources and energy storage systems (ESS), such as gensets, battery, fuel cell, and supercapacitor, will be considered to cover the different propulsion system arrangements for hybrid-powered ships.
The research work will be performed as a combination of theoretical modeling along with the laboratory experiments in the Hybrid Power Lab and analysis of real on-board performance data.
The PhD work will be carried out in an interdisciplinary research environment and in strong collaboration with other researchers both within SFI Smart Maritime and NTNU, and outside, i.e. including our industry partners and international collaborators, namely Department of Energy Technology at Aalborg University.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Proceso de aplicación
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-82/19 when applying.
Please note that we have a number of positions associated to SFI Smart Maritime in 2019. Within this application, please specify the fellowship number by indicating WP3.2. If you plan to apply to more than one position, we kindly ask you to submit a full application to each position.
The PhD-position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is completion of a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in Electrical engineering, Marine Technology, Control/Engineering cybernetics, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering/Computer Science, or a similar relevant area, or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale. Applicants with no letter grades from previous studies must have an equally good academic foundation. Applicants who are unable to meet these criteria may be considered only if they can document that they are particularly suitable candidates for education leading to a PhD degree.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, postdoctor and research assistant.
- Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following subjects may be an advantage: modeling of power systems, power electronics, optimization, intelligent systems, data mining and machine learning.
- Good written and oral English language skills. Applicants from non-English speak countries outside Europe must present an official language test report. The acceptable tests are TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A
- Ability and motivation to work as part of a cross-disciplinary research team. The candidate is expected to expand his/her knowledge in other fields as a part of the PhD project.
- Motivation for the laboratory work and practical implementation of the developed methods.
- Strong analytical skills
- Good communication skills, both oral and written
- Positive attitude and interested in teamwork
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)