Participants will learn best international policies and practices for the implementation of environmental flows to protect aquatic ecosystems and the contributions they provide to people. The course consists of interactive lectures and discussions, real-world examples, group exercises, and webinar exchanges with international experts.
Professionals from government, NGOs, and the private sector who are engaged in policy making, planning, and the operational aspects of resource management and monitoring; others interested in meeting the challenge of environment flow implementation. Participants will share an interest in practically balancing water resource use with environmental protections in sustainable development.
- Environmental flows primer: what they are, what purposes they serve, how they are assessed, and what is their status around the world.
- Creating an appropriate enabling environment: representation of environmental flows in policy, legislation and regulations at local, national, regional, and global scales.
- Stakeholder engagement: identifying key stakeholders and effectively engaging them in the assessment, planning, and operationalisation of environmental flows.
- Defining institutional roles and responsibilities: identifying roles and responsibilities of different institutions in policy making, resource planning, assessment, operationalisation, adaptive management and monitoring of environmental flows.
- Embedding environmental flows in natural resource planning: integrated resource development and conservation planning and methods and tools/instruments for addressing tradeoffs.
- Delivering and protecting environmental flows through adaptive management, from day to day operations, through to monitoring for compliance and effectiveness, and reporting for future planning.
Participants will learn through the presentations of theory and real-world examples, discussions, group exercises, webinars with interaction with international topic experts, and the development of their own case study. Participants should identify their case well beforehand and bring available data and information to the course.
Proceso de aplicación
Deadline IHE application: 11 March 2021 - 23.59 (CET)
Resultados del aprendizaje
Upon completion, the participant should be able to:
- Describe what environmental flows are, how they are assessed, and what contributions they make to society.
- Explain different approaches to incorporate environmental flows into policy, legislation and regulations.
- Discuss the roles and the responsibilities of various stakeholders including implementing institutions.
- Demonstrate one or more approaches to embed environmental flows in water resource management plans.
- Evaluate how environmental flows can best be delivered or protected in an adaptive management context.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)