The course is primarily intended for students taking a bachelor's degree in Biomarine innovation and is related to utilization of marine resources and food-related properties of seafood. The course includes fish, shellfish and algae topics with an emphasis on ingredients that can be isolated from these. The focus is put on lipids, proteins and protein hydrolysates, but also carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins and other low molecular weight compounds. Emphasis is put on the quality and variation of marine raw material and the influence of preservation, processing and storage on seafood components. Other topics that are highlighted are products obtained from marine raw materials and rest raw materials. Under supervision, students will perform and report the results of an independent semester assignment on various aspects of processing of marine raw materials and the products obtained thereof.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
- Biomarine innovation (298BMI)
- Biotechnology (427BT)
Recommended previous knowledge
Basics in biochemistry
Required previous knowledge
Basics in chemistry and biology
Resultados del aprendizaje
After having taken this course, the students should gain the overview and knowledge of:
- fats and fatty acids (especially omega-3 fatty acids) naturally found in marine raw materials and how proteins (especially protein hydrolysates) in marine raw materials and how to maintain the quality of these compounds in processed marine products and ingredients.
- utilization of marine resources and nutritional properties of lipids and proteins isolated from marine raw materials and residual raw materials;
- the influence of conservation, processing and storage on the quality of marine raw materials and rest raw materials, and components isolated thereof.
- students can apply knowledge in new areas within the filed of the subject.
- Students can analyze existing theories, methods and interpretations in the subject area and work independently with practical and theoretical problem solving.
- students can apply their knowledge and skills in new areas to complete advanced work tasks and projects.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)