Students will gain an insight into the newest research and developments within the marine resources sector, including new product development, technological and processing advances, novel analytical quality assessment techniques, as well as obtain a holistic view of the many aspects affecting seafood processing and handling, all from the effects of catching/harvesting ground to the development of marine products and their effect on the human body during their consumption.
Amongst covered topics are processing novelties and optimization, robotics and automation within seafood processing, technical advances in quality analytics, novelties in product development including 3D food printing from marine resources, fish protein and peptide processing, micro-plastics hazards in the marine food chains, marine bioactive compounds, as well as characterization, processing and product development of marine raw materials and underutilized side streams.
The course is a mandatory part of the Aquatic Food Production joint Nordic M.Sc. program (www.aqfood.org).
Students should have finished a bachelor's degree in food science, health science, engineering, biology, chemistry, physics or similar topics.
Resultados del aprendizaje
After completing this course students should be able to:
- Describe the newest developments within technological, processing and product development of marine raw materials
- Identify and describe the main processing steps and their effect on quality and safety of marine products
- Identify side streams and underutilized raw materials from marine resources
- Discuss possible product developments of underutilized raw materials from marine resources
- Discuss and critically assess environmental and health impacts on marine products, such as the introduction of micro-plastics into the food chain etc.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the newest products development trends from marine resources, such as 3D printing, fish protein processing and more.
- Apply and evaluate gained knowledge in a case-based project and report writing
Categorías CINE (ISCED)