The course introduces concepts and methodology related to environmental impact assessments (EIA) and strategic environmental assessment (SEA). The course will also review past environmental impact studies, highlighting their strengths and weaknesses. Special emphasis will be placed on the scientific quality of EIA studies (design and confounding factors) and how authorities comply to regulations and directives. EIA will also be put into the context of the Water Framework Directive and the European Marine Strategy of EU. The course will also explore how to prepare and conduct an impact assessment as well as introduce the theory and methods behind various management systems. The course will also review the rationale behind such management systems as well as their principles, components and use. Different environmental and sustainability management frameworks will be evaluated.
Only for students in Coastal and Marine Management (MRM programme)
On completion of the course, a student:
- can recall theoretical and practical aspects of EIA and SEA.
- can critically assess the quality of EIA studies.
- can put EIA studies into context of the EU framework.
- can set up EIA projects under different environmental settings, write reports and recommendations for authorities.
- has shown ability in organizing and implementing environmental and sustainability management systems.