There is a long maritime tradition in the Basque Country, the sea is closely linked to the culture. The transportation of goods and people has undoubtedly contributed to the social and economic development of the country.
Currently, the transport of goods by sea is still essential, but in addition, other uses have emerged, such as tourism or sports. The Degree in Nautical and Maritime Transport will train you to develop activities related to navigation and management of maritime transport, with subjects such as astronomy, meteorology, radar or stowage navigation and cargo handling.
In the last course you will have to do 3 months of compulsory boarding practices or 600 hours in companies on land. It is necessary to undergo a medical examination in the health services of the Social Institute of the Navy.
Once you obtain the degree, you must complete 12 months on board as a student to be a second pilot of the Merchant Navy. And to obtain the professional title of Captain of the Merchant Navy you will have to take the Master's Degree in Nautical Engineering and Maritime Transport.
This is the documentation you need to enroll:
- Printing of economic and statistical data
- Photocopy of ID or Passport
- A photograph with name and surname on the back
- Direct debit payment of the registration fee
- Document accrediting the right to the reduction or exemption of public tuition prices, in accordance with the corresponding order approved by the Basque Government, which establishes the prices to be paid for the provision of university academic services (disabled people, large families, victims of terrorist acts, gender violence or others, with the conditions established by the Public Price Order for each case).
- Scholarship application form or application receipt, if requested.
- Declaration of commitment to ethical behavior and honesty.
Check the schedule of procedures for admission to the UPV / EHU.
- Analyze and assess the social and environmental impact of technical solutions, as well as the prevention of occupational risks in the maritime and land areas, maintaining a commitment to the environment.
- Communication skills. Organized exposition of ideas orally and in writing so that it is carried out with respect for fundamental rights and equality between men and women, as well as the promotion of human rights and the values proper to a culture of peace and democracy.
- Know the basic and technological subjects that enable them to learn new methods and theories, as well as provide them with great versatility to adapt to new situations.
- Direct, manage and organize the activities necessary for the proper functioning of the ship's Energy and Propulsion facilities, as well as aspects related to Industrial Land Maintenance. Ability to formulate and manage projects.
- Manage specifications, manuals, regulations and mandatory standards with ease.
Possess knowledge in the organization of companies. Know how to organize, plan and manage departments with human and material resources.
- Carry out inspections, measurements, valuations, appraisals, studies, reports, work plans and certifications in facilities within the scope of their specialty within the maritime and terrestrial framework.
- Solve problems with: initiative, decision making, creativity, critical reasoning, in addition to communicating and transmitting knowledge, abilities and skills.
- Be able to practice as a Merchant Marine Machine Officer or as a Marine Engineer in any land-based industrial facility, once the requirements of the corresponding Administrations have been exceeded.
- Be able to work in a group, in a multilingual and multidisciplinary environment, respecting fundamental rights and equality between men and women, as well as guaranteeing universal accessibility. Being able to generate reports for the transmission of knowledge and results. Ability to learn and update permanently.