The BSMT program offered by the Philippine Merchant Marine Academy is basically designed to prepare PMMA Midshipmen for duties as deck officers aboard ship after graduation.
It is a four-year residency course consisting of a three-year academic studies (1st, 2nd and 4th year) and one year shipboard training (3rd year) on board commercial vessels plying the international sea lanes as deck cadets.
The course structure is designed in a manner that at the end of the third year of training, BSMT midshipmen would have fulfilled the requirements of Regulation II/1 of the STCW Convention (minimum knowledge requirements for certification of officer-in-charge of navigational watch on ships of 500 gross register tons or more) and would have gained knowledge to enable them to absorb intelligently the professional subjects for the fourth year. The study during the last year is intended to equip BSMT midshipmen with additional knowledge and skills in Marine Transportation. The curriculum has been revised further to comply with the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) requirements on General Education Components.
Aside from addressing the academic requirements of deck cadets/midshipmen, the curriculum also provides training for their leadership and discipline. The leadership and discipline training scheme is military oriented. Such approach is necessary considering the uniqueness of the maritime profession which requires the highest degree of leadership, discipline and integrity.
PMMA midshipmen are selected from all over the Philippines through a rigid selection process. Out of average examinees of 6,400 about 5% successfully pass the different stages of the screening process and subsequently take their oath as full-fledged PMMA midshipmen.
Basic Qualification Requirements
- Male or female, physically fit, natural born Filipino citizen;
- Single and never been married and has no children out of wedlock;
- Free from being accused or convicted of any crime against the law and the state;
- At least 17 years old and not more than 23 years old upon enrollment on August 01;
- Grade 12 student; College Level
- At least 160 centimeters (5 ft. & 3 in.) for male and 155 centimeters (5 ft. & 1 in.) for female;
- BMI of less than 25;
- At least of good academic performance;
- Has not been enrolled in PMMA.