What is special about this course?
This course forms part of the Merchant Navy Cadet Programme for students entering the industry as deck officers. The programme runs over three years, the first year is the NC Shipping and Maritime Operations.
You will be supported throughout your training by a shipping company and receive an allowance and support at college, as well as spending a portion of your time on-board ships gaining hands-on marine training.
All cadets are employed or sponsored directly by a shipping company/ship manager, or indirectly by other organisations acting on their behalf, who provide the sea service and support throughout the programme.
Cadets normally receive a salary or training allowance for the complete duration of the programme from the employing or sponsoring organisation, which also pays tuition and other associated costs, although specific arrangements may vary between employing and sponsoring organisations.
- Highly qualified professional staff with experience afloat and ashore.
- State of the art simulation equipment, engineering workships and training vessels.
- High quality support infrastructure within modern facilities.
- Small class sizes providing opportunity for one-to-one teaching.
- Deck officer cadets spend a total of at least 12 months on-board a Merchant Navy vessel during their 3 year cadetship.
- Ship and local company visits are undertaken during the course to enable you to see the industry in action.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant university partner college for more information.
Year 1 of the Cadet Programme:
- You should normally have a minimum of four National 5, Standard Grade or GCSE passes at Grade C/3 or above, including English, Maths and a science-based subject
Direct access to the HNC:
- NC Shipping and Maritime Operations
Applicants with other relevant qualifications or experience will be considered on an individual basis.
You will be required to undergo a medical and fitness test.
You must be sponsored by the industry (Merchant Navy), be resident and have had residency in the UK for at least 36 months, be a national of the UK or an EU member state, and hold a UK or EU member state passport.