Aquaculture programme is an academic unit conducting researches on freshwater fishes, marine fishes, aquarium fishes, crustaceans and arthropods cultures, production of live feed, growth performance of aquaculture products, reduction of mortality and anomalies in aquaculture environment, preparation of species specific feed rations, hormone applications in controlled offspring production, genetic manipulations, and so on, are carried out by paying attention to the health and well-being of the living organisms in a comprehensive way.
- Culture of the economic fish species which are declining in the natural environment and to rise the fish consumption level of the society by increasing their productivity.
- In parallel with the advancement of today's technology, production facilities are designed and planned accurately and rationally in the fish production which is the basis of the rapidly developing aquaculture sector.
- In aquarium fish culture, instruct and promote the practical production techniques of many exotic species.
- In aquaculture, the studies of live feed such as the production of phytoplankton (such as Chlorella, Nannocloropsis, Tetraselmis), zooplankton (Artemia, Rotifer, Daphnia) and varius worms are carried out.
- Fish feed production is an important step in aquaculture, developing quality and balanced feed formulas, carrying out the scientific studies on the effects of feed additives on growth and reproduction and the development of alternative protein/fat containing feeds.
- As a result of the reduction of available water resources, studies are being carried out on the use of closed circuit systems that provide less water use so that aquaculture can be maintained in a healthy manner. Accordingly, projects are being carried out to develop and disseminate an innovative and environmentally friendly production model, the aquaponic system.
- In aquaculture, to carry out applied genetic studies such as selection, chromosome manipulation (androgenesis, gynogenesis, triploid, tetraploid etc.), sexual transformation, germ cell isolation and gene transfer, cryopreservation etc. by fish breeding and reproductive biotechnology applications which will increase the product efficiency.
Various studies such as fishing techniques used in marine and inland waters, production techniques of fishing gears, standardization of fishing gears, fishing vessels and equipments, fishery biology, and fisheries management are performed in the Programme of Fisheries Technology.
Fisheries Technology plays a significant role in rational managing of stocks, development of appropriate fishing gears special to target species, to obtain of high-quality product and protection of stocks.
RESEARCH AREAS OF THE FISHERIES TECHNOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT PROGRAMME
• Development of fishing activities
• Protection of fishery resources and providing sustainable fishing
• Determination of national fisheries regulations
• Investigation of management models proper
to responsible fisheries principles
• Development of fishing technologies
• Development of fishing vessels and their equipment
• Selectivity of fishing gears
• Investigation and evaluation of present situation of freshwater fishing methods
• Stock assessment
• The effects of fishing gear on the environment