• To enable students to understand their engineering activities in the business context.
• To enable students to develop a cost estimate and to consider economic viability.
• To enable students to read and objectively assess the implications of a contract.
• To enable students to start to develop a business plan in the marine context.
• To enable students to assess and understand issues of productivity and competitiveness.
• To improve the employability of graduates at a more senior level in the marine technology industries.
• To promote entrepreneurship.
Outline Of Syllabus
• Marine production markets and market research.
• Product mix specification.
• Cost structure and estimating.
• Price determination.
• Cash flow in marine projects.
• Understanding of contracts in marine technology production.
• Investment and investors.
Normally requires 50 hours of study.
Pre-school material enables you to revise and review prerequisite material so that the intensive school can be run efficiently and effectively. The materials will be available six to eight weeks before the intensive school takes place.
You will undertake a pre-school assignment (30% of the module mark) which you will submit on the first day of the intensive school.
One week intensive school
Has an approximate contact time of 35 hours.
The intensive school includes lectures, case studies, tutorials, presentations, and discussions.
You will sit an examination (40% of the module mark) during this intensive teaching week.
Requires 15 hours of study.
This material consolidates the module learning.
Post-school material involves completion of a post-school assignment (30% of the module mark) which you will submit eight weeks after the intensive school.
Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
*The start and end date stated above is approximate, contact us if interested taking the course in 2021/2022
You should have a minimum of:
- a Second Class Honours degree in Engineering or equivalent with a strong quantitative component
- at least three years of relevant work experience in the marine sector or similar
You'll also need to provide a personal statement and reference.
Find out more about entry requirements (including English language requirements).
Proceso de aplicación
There are normally two intakes each year, in September and February. Find out more about the course on the Newcastle University prospectus website.
Use Newcastle University’s online application portal to apply for the course.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)