Marine Civil Engineering is aimed at planning, calculation, design and construction of structures in the coastal zone, in ports and in the Arctic. You must choose whether to specialize in Coastal and Port engineering (KH), Arctic Technology (AT), or the development and design of wind turbines, risers and pipelines, etc. (K).
The project work is related to research and/or development within a chosen area. The project may comprise theoretical, numerical, experimental or field studies. The specialization project will normally be a starting point for the thesis works in the spring term. The student can work individually or in team.
The topic may be chosen by students spezializing at UNIS (The University Centre in Svalbard) or similar.
Recommended previous knowledge
Relevant fundamental courses required for the project.
Resultados del aprendizaje
The project will give the student and in-depth knowledge and competence within a selected area of the field of Marine Civil Engineering. The project will improve the ability to do independent engineering/research work, and provide training in planning of projects, systematic processing of information and report writing.
Students should have knowledge of:
- To abstract a problem and make engineering assessments and calculations within their specialty.
- Description and modeling of physical environmental conditions and environmental loads related to waves, ice, currents and wind in terms of safety for humans and the environment.
- Research methods and how to write a technical report.
The student is able to depending on his/her specialization:
- Measure and analyzing environmental data for the determination of extreme values
- Plan and conduct field and / or lab experiments for the determination of empirical data
- Evaluate and determine action on structures subjected to wave, ice, currents and/or wind.
- Evaluate the relevance of empirical data in relation to a practical problem.
The student has:
- Competence to conduct independent reviews of engineering problems in their respective specialization.
- The basis for evaluating different models and select the appropriate model for a practical problem.
- Competence to combine physical measurements in the field/lab and/or results from numerical/theoretical models for decision-making for engineering assessments.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)