The course presents state-of-the-art knowledge on the maritime industry. Principles of Marine Design:
- Design for the Blue Ocean Environment
- Design of Human Engineered Complex Structures
- General concepts of Maritime Systems
- From Mission to Operation (Form/Function) at Sea
- Overview of Maritime Systems
- Offshore Units (Platform)
- Subsea Structures
- Wind and energy
- Complex Equipment (crane, winch, tanks, plant)
- Common and specific points (Form/Function)
- Methods and Analysis
- Basic Design Methods (interactive process)
- Systems Mission Performance Economics Assessment
- Maritime Systems of Systems (e.g. fleet) and Subsystems (e.g equipment/propulsion/control) Analysis and Performance
- Decision Making Methods
- Stakeholder Preferences and Perceptions
- Ranking and Quantifying
- Design Trade-offs
- Identifying Design Strength and Weakness
- Industry Case Studies
MSc or equivalent in such areas as engineering, management, maritime technology, nautical science, maritime operations management.
Resultados del aprendizaje
The candidate should acquire knowledge in:
- Principles of maritime design, with the human component in the form/function basic design process.
- Overview of the big and complex structures that are used to explore the blue ocean environment.
- Introduction and training on the main literature methods used to design, analyse and evaluate maritime systems.
- Introduction to decision-making theory and common techniques used to rank and quantify designs.
At the end of the course the candidate should be able to:
- Identify the main engineered maritime systems.
- Understand the mission and performance concept in these systems.
- Be acquainted with state of the art literature used to design and analysis such systems.
- Create a concept design of such structures, with preliminary requirements, analyses and evaluation.
- Understanding the mapping between Form/Function of a maritime design problem.
- Converging these basic design problems to a specific research question within maritime design.
- Filter state-of-the-art literature of methods and analyses to specific problems of their research.
- Identify these methods in real maritime systems, applying them to solve a specific problem from their research.
- Use mission-performance-economics methods to quantify and evaluate her/his specific problem in design.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)