The course provides an introduction to the concepts, principles, approaches, and issues associated with Geographical Information Systems, including community-based mapping. No previous exposure to GIS is necessary. The course will provide the student with an understanding of the basic concepts of GIS and the role of GIS as a tool in coastal zone management. It will provide students with an understanding of the techniques of GIS data and spatial analysis. The course involves lectures as well as a laboratory component with an emphasis on practical experience using GIS software.
Only for students in Coastal and Marine Management (MRM programme)
Resultados del aprendizaje
On completion of the course, a student:
- can identify the main sources of spatially referenced data.
- can explain GIS data, data models and spatial databases.
- can illustrate how GIS is used in coastal zone management.
- has demonstrated skills and practical experience in handling spatially referenced data.
- can appraise issues relating to data quality in GIS.
- can locate and utilize existing geographic information data sets, online and elsewhere, for specific project areas.
- can identify which mapping methods and tools are most appropriate for achieving the desired objectives in a given community and/ or situation.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)