- Curriculum encompasses core teaching on Marine Biology and Oceanography with underlying concepts on interdisciplinary chemistry and physics of the marine and coastal environment.
- Theory classes will be handled at Madurai Kamaraj University main campus and students gain access to state-of-the-art computer facilities (Wi-Fi facility at MKU campus) and highly equipped instrumentation facility at Central Instrumentation Centre. Separate hostel facility is available for boys and girls in the MKU main campus at Madurai.
- Our Marine Field Research Facility is situated in the coastal village of Pudhumadam in the vicinity of Marine Biosphere Reserve of the Gulf of Mannar region marine waters. Every fortnight on-site stationed 3-4 days continuous practical classes and field visit will be organized in our Marine Field Research facility at Pudhumadam where the students will study the diverse marine fauna and flora of the seagrass, mangroves, and coral reef ecosystems of Gulf of Mannar & Palk Bay regions. Swimming, Skin Diving and Snorkeling skills will be imparted to students to dive in the coral reef areas. A developing dormitory and dining facility for the students in Marine Field Research Facility at Pudhumadam during the on-site field visit.
- The field visit will give students hands-on experience to study the live marine organisms in their habitat and hence will understand and appreciate the dynamic process of coastal and marine environment in the Gulf of Mannar & Palk Bay regions.
- Students will get mentoring opportunity by leading scientist from Mandapam Regional Centre of CMFRI, Mandapam Camp, NIOT, Chennai, CSMCRI, Mandapam, NIO, Goa, and many other regional and national marine science laboratories for their dissertation / thesis / project work.
- While pursuing the post-graduation will have opportunity to work or get associated in the on-going funded marine research project team.
- Studying post-graduate in Marine Biology in the Department of Marine and Coastal Studies, Madurai Kamaraj University will serve as a pathway to higher research degree (Ph.D.,) in India and Abroad including diverse research and academic opportunities in the career of marine sciences.
Conservation and environmental management
Physical and chemical oceanography