The course will be based on the module "Fleet management and Maritime Logistics Chains (3.75 ECTS). In addition to this module, the student will gain insight into the research frontier within this field through a supervised self study and a series of workshops. The course will discuss important logistics and transportation planning problems in general, and applications from the maritime industry in particular. Mathematical modeling of and alternative solution methods for such planning problems will be taught. Examples of the latter are heuristics (e.g. local search methods, tabu search, etc.) and exact methods (e.g. column generation and Lagrange relaxation). The course will also discuss decision-making under uncertainty.
TIØ4120 Operations Research Basic Course or similar
After completion of the course the candidate should have skills and knowledge to:
- Identify and analyze planning problems in maritime transportation and logistics.
- Model such problems mathematically as optimization problems.
- Explain the complexity related to solving the models.
- Analyze alternative solution methods in order to determine the most appropriate ones.
- Apply both heuristic and exact solution methods for solving the planning problems.
- Better understand how uncertainty can influence the decision process.