The course deals with the fluid dynamics of large scale motion on Earth, with application to the atmosphere and ocean. Motion at such scales, including storms, the Jet Stream and Gulf Stream, is profoundly influenced by the Earth´s rotation. Key aspects of the motion can be captured with simplified dynamics, as shown in the course.
Recommended previous knowledge
Students admitted at UiO must apply for courses in Studentweb. Students enrolled in other Master's Degree Programmes can, on application, be admitted to the course if this is cleared by their own study programme.
Nordic citizens and applicants residing in the Nordic countries may apply to take this course as a single course student.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures for international applicants.
The student will obtain a fundamental knowledge of:
- the equations of motion for a rotating system
- the geostrophic and hydrostatic balances, and the thermal wind relation
- gravity and planetary waves
- turbulent boundary layers and the energy cascade
- barotropic and baroclinic instability
- simplified models of the atmospheric and oceanic circulation