This course examines nonlinear aspects of the large scale atmospheric and oceanic circulation. It expands on the linear theories introduced in GEO4900 – Atmosphere-Ocean Dynamics and also covers basic concepts in statistics, chaos theory and turbulence.
Students at UiO register for courses and exams in Studentweb.
- The student will learn basic statistics, Fourier transforms and chaos theory.
- The student will obtain a fundamental knowledge of:
- the theories of three and two dimensional homogeneous turbulence
- the application to diverse systems like the Jovian atmosphere and flows in ocean basins
- consequences for atmospheric predictability and for the transport of pollutants.