The Master's Degree in Aquatic Systems Ecology (MESA) arises as an immediate need to support continuous academic training of professionals in the area. In a broader perspective, the program seeks to fulfill a fundamental social role in the Second Region: to train high-level human talent that responds critically to the growing need to face the challenges that arise in environmental matters as a consequence of the great industrial development, with the consequent deterioration in natural resources.
The Master's program in Aquatic Systems Ecology is academic in nature, with a strong scientific focus and provides multidisciplinary training and analysis tools, which allow its graduates to solve problems and knowledge gaps.
For the selection process, a “ranking” of the applicants is carried out based on a weighting of the antecedents that follows in general terms, among others, that used by CONICYT that considers the following weighting criteria:
-This Master's program is currently accredited, therefore, all regular students, including new entrants, can apply for Conicyt scholarships for master's studies. You can follow the Conicyt page https://www.conicyt.cl/becasconicyt/
-The Scholarship System for Students of the Postgraduate Programs of the University of Antofagasta, according to Exempt Decree No. 1349 of 10.28.2019, contemplates the following:
- Scholarships for the release of payment of the program fee, exempting the beneficiary from the obligation to fully or partially pay the fee for the respective program. The registration fee must be paid in full.
- Scholarships for Academic Excellence to graduate students of accredited programs, or in the process of accreditation or reaccreditation (with a report sent to the accrediting entity), awarded to students in consideration of their academic merits and will consist of a total reduction of the program fee and a monthly financial aid. Having to pay the registration fee.
- Financial Aid to attend Congresses, consists of supporting attendance at conferences for accredited postgraduate students or in the accreditation process, will be granted by application, which will be opened twice a year (first semester of each year, for congresses that are held during the 2nd semester of the same year and 2nd semester for the congresses held in the first semester of the following year). This support will consist of an economic aid that must be rendered equivalent to 15 UF maximum for national congresses and 25 UF maximum for international congresses. The value of the UF of January 2 of each year will be taken.
- Productivity Assignment Scholarships, has the purpose of an incentive to students who are studying postgraduate programs to publish in scientific journals. If the publication is in a journal indexed to the Journal Citation Report (JCR) of Web of Science (WoS), it will receive an allocation of 15 UF. If the publication is in the SCOPUS or Scielo System, the allocation will be 6 UF. The value of the UF of January 2 of each year will be taken and the payment will be made only once, for each publication.
- Other scholarships, in a non-exclusive manner, to the aforementioned, Research Centers or other University Units, using their own resources, may assign other types of scholarships to University graduate students.
The graduate of the Master in Ecology of Aquatic Systems will be able to:
- 1. Analyze and evaluate the ecological processes involved in the abundance and distribution of species, as well as in the dynamics and functioning of aquatic ecosystems.
- 2. To discriminate and apply quantitative and semi-quantitative (qualitative) analytical tools for the prediction of changes at the population, community and ecosystem levels as a consequence of natural disturbances and human interventions.
- 3. Integrate and apply theoretical bodies of Ecology to answer questions in the field of aquatic systems.
- 4. Formulate research proposals in the field of Ecological Sciences
- 5. Communicate your results in a scientific setting.
- 6. Integrate multidisciplinary research groups in the field of aquatic systems.
Anyone who possesses:
- Bachelor's degree or professional title, whose level and content of studies are equivalent to those necessary to obtain the bachelor's degree in the disciplines compatible with the areas of the program.
Applicants must accompany their application with the following documents :.
- a) Well-founded request to enter the program.
- b) Legalized copy of professional title or academic degree and concentration of grades.
- c) Two letters of reference or contact names of two recommenders. At least one of the letters must be from the university academic field and have been part of their training.
- d) Photocopy of Identity Card and / or Passport.
- e) Sponsorship or authorization of the institution to which it belongs, when appropriate.
- f) Application Form, accompanying the Curriculum Vitae. DOWNLOAD FORM
- g) Letter of support for the application of a professor of the Program.