General course objectives
To give the student a cross-disciplinary overview of the main issues associated with shipping and port logistics, as well as to provide insights on what the industry and policy makers are doing to address related challenges.
Overview of the various logistics problems in shipping and ports. The international, regional and sectoral policy context. Innovation drivers and triggers in maritime logistics sectors. Tramp and liner shipping logistics basics. Speed optimization and combined speed-routing models. Weather routing. Liner shipping network design. Balancing environmental vs. economic performance. Greenhouse gas and sulphur abatement and their impact on maritime logistics. Port logistics basics. Port governance models. Generalized costs and hinterland connections. Terminal management problems. Port security. Green ports. Cross-linkages between ship and port logistics. Autonomous shipping and digitalization. Maritime cyber-security.
The course assignment will be each student (or student groups) to critically review a number of related papers, and work on a final project that will address a major shipping or port logistics challenge.
42114 Integer Programming, or an intermediate level course covering modelling or quantitative methods. Knowledge of the maritime sector is useful but not necessary.
A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:
- A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to: Assess various shipping and port logistics systems according to specified criteria
- Analyze the major drivers and triggers of innovation in the shipping and port logistics sectors
- Evaluate how one can balance environmental vs economic logistical performance
- Review optimisation models and recent literature for this class of problems
- Synthesize related policy challenges, in the private industry, the IMO, the EU, and elsewhere
- Assess the role of ICT, autonomous shipping and digitalization in maritime logistics
- Investigate cross-linkages between shipping and port logistics
- Recommend solutions to specific maritime logistics challenges