The course provides focus on two aspects. Firstly the most common renewable energy technologies such as wind energy, solar power, hydro power as well as biomass will be introduced. The introduction includes the technical design as well as the current market and economic situation. For example in the area of wind turbine technology, aspects like aerodynamics and wind turbine design options are presented as well as aspects of wind farm design. Secondly the course will discuss the integration of (fluctuating) renewables into power systems, which includes the discussion of grid connection aspects (grid codes) as well as power system balancing. Special focus will be placed on the integration of on- and offshore wind power into power systems.
A field trip to the wind power station in Karlsruhe will round up this certificate course.
The course objective is to provide knowledge about a wide area of renewable technologies and understand its role in the overall grid operation. The participants will learn to understand the technical design as well as the current economic conditions, including different regulators aspects, of renewables and its operation influence on power system operation.
The course aims at providing the relevant knowledge for working in a future renewable energy based electricity supply industry.
- are able to understand the design of different renewable generation technologies
- gain knowledge about economic and regulatory aspects of renewable generation
- are able to evaluate various solutions for the design of renewable production systems
- gain competence to understand grid integration aspects of renewable generation
- are able to apply knowledge in certain case studies
Expertise for You!
Dr. Ackermann is founder and CEO of the Energynautics GmbH. He is lecturer for wind and renewable energy at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) in Stockholm/Sweden since 2007, and within the HECTOR School as the Technology Business School of the Karlsruhe Institute for Technology (KIT) since 2014.
Participants of this course profit from his broad industry experience: In 2000 he founded the Energynautics GmbH and is still holding the position of its CEO; before he gained insights into international energy companies like e.g. the Design Power Ltd. in New Zealand or the Tacke Windtechnik GmbH in Germany.
We expect students to have a masters degree in science or technology, including industrial engineering; basic knowledge of business administration is helpful, but not necessary.
Registration & Organization
- Format: On-campus or online
- Group size: The course is bookable for a group of minimum 5 people and a maximum of 15 people.
- Costs: 2.495€ per participant. Please ask us for special company and alumni rates.
For individual scheduling of this 3-day certificate course especially for your company please contact Ms. Martina Waldner.